Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best way to contact my child's teachers?
- Teacher email addresses and phone numbers are available in the “Staff Directory” section of the website
- Teachers can also be contacted through Schoology and PowerSchool.
What are the official school hours?
- Student School Day – 9:05 a.m. - 3:52 p.m.; doors open at 8:50 a.m.
- Office Hours – 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Who do I contact for absences (illness, appointments, or other)?
- Report that a student is ill by 9:00 a.m. Call 952-928-6394 or email email@example.com
- For appointments, students must bring a note from a parent or guardian to the Student Services office in the morning. Staff will give students a pass to leave class at the designated time
- You must come into office and sign out your student at the designated time
- If a student is late to school or returning from an appointment they must have a note and check in at the Front Office. Staff will give them a note to return to class
- Students are responsible for contacting their teachers or checking PowerSchool regarding missed work
What are A or B days?
- Schedules alternate every other day; most classes meet every day, electives meet every other day
- Click here for the daily class schedule
What should my student bring/wear for Physical Education classes?
6th, 7th and 8th grade students must wear tennis shoes to every gym class. Students are assigned a gym locker the first week of school and it is highly recommended they keep the following in their gym locker:
extra pair of socks
extra gym clothes (if needed)
How do I find bus and/or transportation information?
- Click here to access bus/transportation information.
What is PowerSchool?
- The online tool that allows parents/guardians and students to view student's attendance, grades, and assignments online. Please click here to get started with PowerSchool.
What is Schoology?
- District’s digital learning tool
- Teachers use it to post assignments, create discussion boards/blogs, and implement other instructional resources and tools
- Students use it to access, complete and submit assignments when required
- Click here to get started with Schoology
What is the Oriole Times News or OT News?
- A weekly email newsletter for parents and families sent every Thursday
- Contains timely information regarding schedules, events and news
- To change your email address, please call the front office
How can I visit the Middle School?
Families are always welcome and encouraged to visit SLPMS. Please note the following procedures used to make sure the school provides a safe environment. Student guests are not allowed.
All visitors must enter the main door (#1) and come directly to the front office.
Once at the office, visitors will be asked the purpose of their visit and be required to provide identification.
Visitors will then sign in, and if remaining in the building, they will be given a visitor identification badge. The badge must be worn in a visible location.
Any visitor wanting to meet with a teacher during the school day and/or shadow their child is required to make arrangements in advance as to not disturb the learning environment.
Other Important Middle School terms:
Advisory: Meets five times a week
Is personal technology allowed at school?
- Students are expected to come to school with their school-issued Chromebooks (fully charged) every day. (Questions/issues with the school-issued Chromebooks should be directed to 952-928-6341.)
- Personal laptop computers and/or tablets will not be needed or usable in school.
- Cell phone expectations
- The school is not responsible for these items if they are lost, stolen or broken.
What are the lunch options?
- There are four lunch periods
- Hot lunch, cold sandwich, salad, and snack bar options are available for purchase
- Students are assigned a new individual lunch number in 6th grade; it remains the same for grades 7 and 8
- Add money to student accounts through the Wordware automated online payment system
- More information is available at slpschools.org/nutrition
- Questions? Contact Jodie Woelffer at 952-928-6146.
What is Site Council?
- A group of parents and staff that serve the Middle School by advising the administration and supporting student enrichment through fundraising, volunteer recruitment, and event planning.
- Site Council typically meets the 3rd Wednesday of every month (except December and March) in the evenings. Meetings will be virtual for the 2022-23 year.
- Questions and feedback are encouraged at firstname.lastname@example.org
What should I expect for fundraisers?
- SLP Middle School participates in a direct donation drive
- Families are encouraged to make a direct donation to the middle school and talk to their place of employment about a corporate match
- You may also contribute in the following way:
- We participate in Box Tops for Education and everything is done electronically
- Amazon Smile - Select the St. Louis Park Middle School and a portion of all sales at smile.amazon.com goes to the Middle School
Still have questions? Let us help!
- Send an email to email@example.com with questions